1. Make sure your locks are up to a good standard – and use them!
2. Don’t leave your keys in the locks and make sure you keep them at least 6ft from windows and doors
3. Every House should have a safe & a good one at that. Safeguard all your documents and valuables
4. If you can get back into your house without a key, so can a thief. You have a security problem and it needs fixing!
5. Always change all locks if you’ve just moved house
6. Secure your ‘out buildings’, sheds & garages. Don’t make it easy for burglars by giving them access to your tools and or ladders
7. Alarms are great but make sure they are serviced on a regular basis and don’t get complacent, make sure your house is secure too.
8. Fit security lights and cameras. Install them properly and strategically but be mindful of your neighbours; you want them on your side.
9. Mark and photograph all your valuables. If you lose them, you’ll want them back.
10. If you’re an animal lover, get a dog. Dogs LOVE you and HATE strangers trying to get into the home uninvited.
11. Have your property surveyed by a qualified locksmith. Make sure they’re MLA (Master Locksmiths Association) approved
12. Do it NOW! A burglar isn’t going to wait for you. You have the security of your home in your hands.